How to Dye Silk with Koolaid
- 35 X 35 silk Habotai silk scarf from Dharma Trading Company.
- Pakage(s) of Koolaid in colors of your choice. * see below for amount
First soak silk in hot water and vinegar. Don't toss this out, you'll need it later.
In another bowl, mix 2 cups boiling water with recommended packets of Kool-aid, and 1/2 cup of vinegar. The more packets the bolder and darker the colors will be. If you want pastel shades, use one. If you want bright primary colors use three. If you want a more splotchy look like watercolor paper don't mix the kool-aid and water, and don't stir the silk while it is being dyed. Our silks were dyed using 1 packet.
Allow silks to soak in dye bath until water cools, wring out. Rinse, place back into the cooled water and vinegar bath for 10 minutes. Wring out.Wash separate and dry.
- Pale Pink - 1/3 of a Cherry pack
- Dark Pink - 1/2 of a Cherry pack
- Red - 2 Cherry, 2 Jamaica
- Peach- 1 Orange, 1 Yellow
- Orange - 2 Orange
- Dark Orange - 3 Orange, 1 Cherry
- Pale Yellow- 1 Lemonade
- Dark Yellow - 3 Lemonade, 1 Orange
- Pale Green -1 Lemon-Lime
- Bright Green- 3 Lemon Lime
- Green- 3 Lemon Lime, 1 Blue Berry
- Baby Blue- 1 Blue Berry
- Purple- not recommended
- Brown- 1 Lemonade, 1 Grape, 1 Orange